Born on June, 28, 1969 in Eljem, Tunisia
Baccalaureate, June 1988, Tunisia, Presidential Prize
BS, Ecole Polytechnique, July 1992
MS, Ecole Polytechnique, June 1993
Ph.D., Ecole Polytechnique, May 1995
Habilitation, University of Paris VI, January 1999
Visiting Professorships MSRI, UC Berkeley (2001), IPAM, UCLA (2003), Seoul National University (2006),
Korean Advanced Institute of Science and Technology (2012).
Current Research InterestsMulti-scale imaging, hybrid medical imaging, shape classification, electrosensing, echolocation, functional imaging,
Prizes and AwardsEuropean Research
Council Advanced Investigator Grant, 2010.
- Publication Citations at
GoogleScholar (5178 Sum of Times Cited; h-index: 37),
MathSciNet (1651 Sum of Times Cited by 616 Authors), and ISI
Knowledge (1812 Sum of Times Cited; h-index: 23; Essential Science
Indicators-Rank in Mathematics: 108).
- (with H. Kang) Reconstruction of
Small Inhomogeneities from Boundary Measurements, Lecture Notes in
Mathematics, Volume 1846, Springer-Verlag, Berlin 2004. Review.
- (with H. Kang) Polarization
and Moment Tensors: with Applications to Inverse Problems and Effective Medium
Theory. Applied Mathematical Sciences Series, Volume 162, Springer-Verlag, New York, 2007.
- An Introduction to Mathematics of Emerging Biomedical Imaging.
Mathématiques et Applications, Volume 62, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 2008. Review.
- (with H. Kang and H. Lee) Layer Potential Techniques in Spectral Analysis. Mathematical Surveys and Monographs, Volume 153, American Mathematical Society, Providence, 2009.
- (with J. Garnier, W. Jing, H. Kang, M. Lim, K. Solna, and H.
Mathematical and Statistical Methods for Multistatic
Imaging. Lecture Notes in Mathematics, Volume 2098,
Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 2013.
- (with J. Garnier, H. Kang,
L. Nguyen, and L. Seppecher) Multi-Wave Medical Imaging:
Mathematical Modelling and Imaging Reconstruction. Modelling
and Simulation in Medical Imaging, Volume 2, Imperial College
Press, London, 2014.
- (with E. Bretin, J. Garnier, H.
Kang, H. Lee, and A. Wahab) Mathematical Methods in Elasticity
Imaging, Princeton University Press, submitted.
Asymptotic Models and Methods in Electromagnetics, in preparation.
- (with H. Kang) Inverse
Problems, Multi-Scale Analysis, and Homogenization. Contemporary Mathematics, Volume 408, American Mathematical Society,
- Modeling and Computations in Electromagnetics: A Volume Dedicated to Jean-Claude Nédélec.
Lecture Notes in Computational Science and Engineering, Volume 59, Springer-Verlag, Berlin 2007.
- (with H. Kang)
Imaging Microstructures: Mathematical and Computational Challenges. Contemporary Mathematics, Volume 494, American Mathematical Society, Providence, 2009.
- Mathematical Modeling in Biomedical Imaging I:
Electrical and Ultrasound Tomographies, Anomaly Detection, and Brain Imaging.
Lecture Notes in Mathematics: Mathematical Biosciences Subseries, Volume 1983, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 2009.
- (with J. Garnier, H. Kang, and K. Solna) Mathematical and Statistical
Methods for Imaging. Contemporary Mathematics,
Volume 548, American Mathematical Society, Providence, 2011.
Modeling in Biomedical Imaging II: Optical, Ultrasound, and
Lecture Notes in Mathematics: Mathematical Biosciences Subseries, Volume 2035, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 2011.
- (with Y. Capdeboscq and H. Kang)
Multi-scale and High-Contrast Partial Differential Equations.
Contemporary Mathematics, Volume 577, American Mathematical
Society, Providence, 2012.
Industrial Grants and Collaborations
- CEA-LIST, THALES, L'OREAL, and SCHLUMBERGER.
Grants for International Collaborations
- PHC STAR (South Korea), PHC AMADEUS (Austria), ALLIANCE (Columbia University).
Agence Nationale de la Recherche (ANR), Délégation Générale pour
l'Armement, Digiteo, Région Ile de France.
Electrical Impedance Tomography by Elastic Deformation (with E. Bonnetier,
Y. Capdeboscq, M. Tanter, and M. Fink), WO 2008037929.
Former PhD Students
- N. Vialle-Béreux
(supervised with J.C. Nédélec), Resonances for Maxwell's Equations, PhD Thesis, Ecole
Polytechnique, December 1998 (Reviewers: M. Costabel and P. Joly).
- C. Latiri
(supervised with J.C. Nédélec), Approximate Boundary Conditions in Electromagnetics
, PhD Thesis, Ecole
Polytechnique, November 1999 (Reviewers: G. Bao and P. Monk).
- A. Khelifi, Electromagnetic
Scattering From Small Dielectric Inhomogeneities, PhD Thesis, Ecole
Polytechnique, February 2002 (Reviewers: O. Bruno and M. Yamamoto); HDR 2012.
Triki, Asymptotics of Resonant Frequencies in Electromagnetics, PhD Thesis,
Ecole Polytechnique, December 2002 (Reviewers: G. Bouchitté and F. Santosa).
- K. Touibi, Imaging Microstructures, PhD Thesis, Ecole Polytechnique, April 2004 (Reviewers: E. Beretta and H. Tuong).
- S. Soussi , Mathematical
Modeling in Optics, PhD Thesis, Ecole Polytechnique, September 2004 (Reviewers: D. Dobson and E. Bonnetier).
- E. Iakovleva
(supervised with D. Lesselier), Inverse
Scattering from Small Inclusions, PhD Thesis, Ecole Polytechnique,
November 2004 (Reviewers: J. Blum and M. Vogelius).
- H. Zribi, Layer
Potential Techniques for Sensitivity Analysis, PhD Thesis, Ecole
Polytechnique, December 2005 (Reviewers: G. Dassios and L. Greengard); HDR 2012.
- K. Louati, Mathematical Modeling for Corrosion Detection in Pipelines, PhD Thesis, Ecole
Polytechnique, December 2006 (Reviewers: I. Ionescu and B. Maury).
- A. Dossevi (supervised with L. Garnero), Methods of Reconstruction of Functional Networks from Cortical Sources Dynamics in Electro- and Magneto-encephalography, PhD Thesis, Ecole
Polytechnique, December 2007 (Reviewers: H. Benali and J. Garnier).
- A. Kozhemyak, Mathematical Models and Reconstruction Methods for Emerging Biomedical Imaging, PhD Thesis, Ecole
Polytechnique, June 2008 (Reviewers: M. Asch and V. Komornik).
- W.K. Park (supervised with D. Lesselier), Inverse Scattering from Two-Dimensional Thin Inclusions and Cracks, PhD Thesis, Ecole
Polytechnique, February 2009 (Reviewers: E. Beretta and O. Dorn).
- P. Garapon, Multiscale Elasticity Imaging, PhD Thesis, Ecole Polytechnique, June 2009 (Reviewers: L. Greengard and G. Uhlmann); Best Thesis Prize.
- S. Khan (supervised with S. Baillet), MEG Source Imaging and Dynamic Characterization, PhD Thesis, Ecole Polytechnique, January 2010
(Reviewers: A. Djaffari and J. Garnier).
- L. Guadarrama
Bustos, Transient Wave Imaging, PhD Thesis, Ecole
Polytechnique, June 2010 (Reviewers: Y. Capdeboscq and K. Solna).
Bellet (supervised with G. Berginc), Mathematical and
Numerical Methods for Skin Imaging with Polarized Light, PhD
Thesis, Ecole Polytechnique, December 2010 (Reviewers: D. Auroux
and D. Fedbacq).
Jugnon, Modelling and Simulation in Photoacoustics, PhD
Thesis, Ecole Polytechnique, December 2010 (Reviewers: M. Hanke,
J. Schotland, and H. Zhao); Best Thesis Prize.
- A. Wahab,
Modeling and Imaging of Attenuation in Biological Media,
PhD Thesis, Ecole Polytechnique, November 2011 (Reviewers: M.
Bergounioux and O. Scherzer).
- T. Boulier (supervised
with J. Garnier), Electro-sensing for Weakly Electric Fish,
PhD Thesis, Ecole Polytechnique, June 2013 (Reviewers: O. Bruno,
J.K. Seo, and H. Zhao).
Current PhD Students
L. Giovangigli, P. Millien, L. Seppecher (all supervised
with J. Garnier).
E. Bretin, G. Ciraolo, A.
Dossevi, Y. Deng, S. Gdoura, J.P.
Iakovleva, W. Jing, K. Kalimeris, E. Kim, M. Lim, H. Lee, C.
Poignard, L. Nguyen, A. Rozanova, S. Soussi, M.P. Tran.
Selected Recent Synergetic Activities
- Member of the European Research Council Starting Grant
Panel (PE1), 2013--.
Member of the Cancer Plan Panel of the French National Institute of
Health and Medical Research, 2011--2014.
Member of the Scientific Advisory Board of Photoacoustic Network,
Member of the Scientific Committee of Applied and
Inverse Problems Conference, Daejeon, Korea, 2013; Member of the
Calderon Prize Committee 2013.
Organization of Seminars, Minicourses, and